US Energy Secretary Chris Wright issued an emergency order on August 19, 2026, directing PJM Interconnection, L.L.C. to keep Wagner Unit 4 running beyond its normal operating limit to protect grid reliability across the mid-Atlantic region. The order, issued under Section 202(c) of the Federal Power Act, covers 13 states and the District of Columbia. It takes effect August 20, 2026, and runs through November 17, 2026.

What the order does

Section 202(c) gives the energy secretary emergency authority to direct grid operators and generators to keep specific power plants running when reliability is at risk. This order permits PJM, working with Talen Energy Corporation, to run Unit 4 at the Wagner Generating Station in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, beyond its current operating limit. PJM requested the order and told the U.S. Department of Energy it expects to keep needing the unit during periods of high electricity demand to maintain reliable grid operations.

A repeat request

Wright has previously granted PJM's requests to run Wagner Unit 4 beyond its operating limit to help maintain grid reliability in the region. PJM relied on the unit during periods of unusually high temperatures earlier this summer, drawing down its remaining operating hours under one of those earlier Policy orders. PJM has since told DOE it continues to need Wagner Unit 4 to meet high electricity demand and help prevent power outages.

The secretary's statement

"Energy shortfalls for 65 million Americans are simply unacceptable," Wright said. He said previous mid-Atlantic orders have helped keep the lights on and that he is confident this one will do the same in the coming months, adding that the order is meant to address the urgent need to strengthen grid reliability and give Americans in the region access to affordable, reliable and secure energy regardless of whether the sun shines or wind blows.